The Department of Veterans Affairs is interested in attracting the best talent for our diverse cadre of SES members from all sources: within VA, the Federal government, and from the private sector. We have streamlined our recruitment process and now only require you to submit a 5 page resume to apply for this position.
This position serves as the Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary (ADAS) for Finance within the Office of Finance, Assistant Secretary for Management. The incumbent is the principal advisor to the Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Finance, providing high-level management expertise in directing and managing the financial programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The ADAS assists in directing the organization of over 600 employees through fifteen direct reports.
VA structures its SES positions into pay bands. This is a pay band 3 position and the salary range is $119,554 - $165,300. Exceptions to the salary cap may be considered in certain circumstances.
Multiple similarly categorized positions may be filled using this vacancy announcement
KEY REQUIREMENTSUS Citizenship is requiredSuccessful completion of background investigation & possible drug screeningSelectee may be subject to geographic or organizational reassignment/travelPubic Financial Disclosure Report is requiredMales born after December 31, 1959 must be registered for Selective ServiceOne year probationary period for initial SES appointment
The Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary of Finance serves as the full assistant to the Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Finance and shares fully with the DAS in providing leadership and high-level management. Other duties include but not limited to the following:
· Serves as the principal advisor to the DAS for Finance providing high-level management expertise;
· Develops financial and accounting policies and procedures and Departmental financial reports;
· Evaluates the fiscal and financial operations of HQ and field activities in support of program goals;
· Directs and manages the Department's financial operations and systems support;
· Develops and recommends innovative improvements to the Department's financial business-processes;
· Manages and directs the Financial Services Center, Austin, TX, and the Debt Management Center, St. Paul, MN; and
· Represents the Department, with the CFO, on the Government's CFO Council.
The Senior Executive Service (SES) is comprised of the men and women charged with leading the continuing transformation of government. These leaders possess well-honed executive skills, share a broad perspective of government, and a public service commitment.
Both competitive and non-competitive applicants MUST SHOW in your 5 PAGE RESUME that you possess the five Mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Technical Qualification(s) outlined below.
The target competencies deemed most pertinent to this position have been specified under each ECQ description below. It is highly recommended that your resume address your accomplishments in these specific competency areas. Remember, your resume must not exceed 5 pages including an optional cover letter. Any information in excess of 5 pages will NOT be considered or evaluated.
The definitions of the SES ECQs and their underlying competencies can be found at:
A. Executive Core Qualifications
ECQ 1. LEADING CHANGE:
Target Competency 1: Strategic Thinking
Target Competency 2: Vision
ECQ 2. LEADING PEOPLE:
Target Competency 1: Leveraging Diversity
Target Competency 2: Developing Others
ECQ 3. RESULTS DRIVEN:
Target Competency 1: Accountability
Target Competency 2: Problem Solving
Target Competency 3: Technical Credibility
ECQ 4. BUSINESS ACUMEN:
Target Competency 1: Financial Management
Target Competency 2 Human Capital Management
ECQ 5. BUILDING COALITIONS:
Target Competency 1: Influencing/Negotiating
B. Technical Qualification
The incumbent must possess broad knowledge of fiscal management principles, and demonstrated knowledge and expertise in managing a complex operation in a large decentralized environment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Step 1: Minimum ECQ-based qualifications
Step 2: Technical qualification screening
Step 3: VA Executive Resources Board (ERB) rating and ranking
Step 4: Structured interviews to determine Best Qualified (BQ) applicants
Step 5: Tentative selection by Nominating Organization (May include additional screening)
Step 6: Approval by the Selecting Official (May include additional screening)
Step 7: OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) Certification
Non-Competitive Consideration: You are considered a non-competitive applicant if you are a current career SES appointee, reinstatement eligible SES, or a QRB certified graduate of an SES candidate development program. Non-Competitive applicants must submit a complete application as noted under "Required Documents". The Agency has the option of considering you noncompetitively or including you in the competitive process (Steps 2-6 above).
The Federal Government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following Web address is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most federal employees. http://usajobs.gov/El/benefits.asp.
Veteran Preference does not apply to the Senior Executive Service: http://www.usajobs.gov/vi
EEO Policy Statement: http://www.usajobs.gov/eeo
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement: http://www.usajobs.gov/raps
Legal and Regulatory Guidance: http://www.usajobs.gov/lrg
HOW TO APPLY:
We strongly encourage you to apply online. Your complete application must be received by 11:59pm EST on the closing date in order for you to be considered. Please read all instructions before you begin.
To begin click the Apply Online button and follow the prompts to register and submit all required documents. To return to your saved application, login in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Apply Online" to continue.
If you CANNOT apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire. View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print your resume and required documents.
3. FAX to (478)757-3144. Feed all documents into your fax machine top first so that we receive them right-side up. You must obtain and print a copy of the OPM Form 1203-FX, to provide your answers. Refer to the link below for instructions for completing the OPM Form 1203-FX. The form URL is at: http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf.
Please note you may also call USAJOBS by Phone at (703) 724-1850 to have the OPM Form 1203-FX mailed to you; however, this is not a practical alternative if the announcement is nearing its closing date. After the introduction on the recording, press 1, and listen for instructions to request the form.
A complete application for this position includes the following items:
1. Resume which demonstrates your experience, accomplishment, training, education and awards reflecting your ability to meet each of the MANDATORY technical and executive core qualification requirement(s) for this position. Elaborate on your experience and accomplishments, highlighting your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, work objectives met (results of your efforts), policy initiatives and level of contact. Ensure your resume does not exceed five (5) pages. Information beyond the five page resume will not be evaluated. DO NOT submit the application form OF-612, Optional Application for Federal Employment in lieu of a resume. DO NOT submit separate narrative responses to address the technical and executive core qualifications.
2. Your resume should include three references with at least one being the current or prior supervisor.
3. Complete responses to the Occupational Questionnaire.
4. Non-competitive applicants: Proof of noncompetitive eligibility is required. Proof consists of an SF-50 showing career status in the SES and/or proof of certification of your executive core qualifications from the OPM administered QRB. Traditional method applications will NOT be accepted.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Nikole Ellis Phone: (202)461-5478 Email: NIKOLE.ELLIS@VA.GOV Agency Information:VA Corporate Senior Executive Management Office810 Vermont Avenue NWWashington, DC20420
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will be notified of the status of your application throughout the process. If you are deemed a "Highly Qualified" applicant, you should be prepared to participate in a structured interview.
Control Number: 347334000